The Youth Care Assistant Counselor is primarily responsible for the care and supervision of youth residents at the Harmony Hill School in all facets (including physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being) of their daily lives. Youth Care Assistant Counselors assist youth in the completion of a variety of functional activities and help them to solve problems and make choices based on sound judgment…
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily supervision of youth residents and being aware of their whereabouts at all times.
- Guide youth in their interactions, utilizing principles of the Recovery Model and the Enrichment program.
- Maintain a therapeutic environment by supervising youth, ensuring and promoting a safe and positive environment effectively caring for, supervising, counseling, and managing crises and emergencies.
- Responsible for assisting in assuring that all needs are directly met. Supervising and communicating with youth in a non-judgmental, (caring but firm) manner. Implement the daily program schedule, in addition to organizing and carrying out activities with youth throughout scheduled shifts.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all youth identities, records, and information.
- Maintain professional boundaries with youth and demonstrate/ensure that healthy staff to youth working relationships are maintained. Maintaining courteous and professional relationships with supervisor, co-workers, youth, and outside agency staff.
- Responsible for managing crisis situations professionally and following agency policies and procedures related to emergencies.
- Daily implementation of and adherence to assigned treatment plan services for each youth.
- Observe and promptly respond to behavioral issues, adhere to safety standards and encourage healthy living habits, listen and problem solve to provide a safe, secure, and positive environment for each resident.
- Daily maintaining complete and accurate records and incident reports.
- Responsible for daily care of the facility and keeping it clean and in order with the help of the youth.
- Being present and punctual for all scheduled shifts including weekends and holidays and remaining awake and alert at all times.
- Serve as a resource person and take on-call duties when designated by the supervisor.
- Any and all other related tasks as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age with a High school diploma or general education degree (GED). An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree or actively pursuing your degree is preferred.
- Must be able to interact well with others in a team environment, understanding and following rules and directions from the supervisor.
- Experience in the mental health field desired.
- Must be able to pass our physical intervention –Safety Care training.
- All candidates must clear Rhode Island state as well as federal background checks.
- Must have a valid, non-suspended, non-expired driver license and a good driving record.
- All training is available on site.
Harmony Hill School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.